History of Kingman HospitalsPrior to 1908, a Dr. Haskins operated a 4-bed hospital in a two-story frame house in the 200 block of West B Avenue in Kingman, Kansas.
In 1908, a Mrs. Pence opened the doors to Pence Hospital to accommodate the growing healthcare needs of the community. Located in the 400 block of North Lincoln Street, Pence Hospital boasted 12 rooms and a nurses training program-one of the few in this area. An interesting highlight of the period of Pence Hospital is that the nurses maintained a garden and canned all the produce for the hospital's dietary service. Four years later the hospital sold to Dr. Harry Haskins and Dr. William Callahan.
Kingman Memorial Hospital opened in August of 1934. Funding began with a sum of money left from a World War I fund used to provide entertainment for the troops, local donations, and a gift of land from Charles Rayl. Two additions in later years brought the patient capacity to 36 beds. This hospital also had a nurses training program.
In February of 1948, Dr. J. B. Donley opened the Donley Osteopathic Hospital and Clinic. Early in 1950, Dr. J. B's son, Lester, joined him in practice. They operated the hospital until June of 1970. In updated facilities financed by city industrial revenue bonds and private donations, in June of 1970 both the Memorial Hospital staff and the Donley staff began practice in the Kingman Community Hospital.
In 1998 the corporation, Kingman Community Hospital, Inc. changed its name to Ninnescah Valley Health Systems, Inc. The corporation includes Kingman Community Hospital, the Medical Arts Center, Kingman and Cunningham Clinic.
A groundbreaking ceremony in July of 2002 marked the beginning of a building project that brought the facility size to approximately 50,000 square feet. Funded by hospital revenue bonds and completed in 2003, the project cost was just under 2 million dollars. The addition houses the Oncology Department, five exam rooms, a procedure room and a physician workroom. Administrative offices and Admissions were relocated to the addition, making possible the expansions of Cardiac Rehab, Nuclear Medicine and Dietary Departments. Kingman Community Hospital is a 25-bed Critical Access hospital, and is located on a four-acre site at 750 West D Avenue, Kingman, Kansas.